Summer is officially here, and that means it's officially time to start planning all of your summer activities! Washington, DC is the most powerful city in the World, but it’s also a great place to explore, play and be entertained; here are 5 awesome ways to let loose this summer!
1. Jazz in the Sculpture Garden: This free event happens every Friday during the summer in the Sculpture Garden on the grounds of the National Gallery of Art. Bring a picnic, sip some Sangria, and enjoy talented musicians in genres ranging from Reggae to Jazz Violin to Afro Funk!
2. Nationals Games: Since opening in 2008, Nationals Park has been the home of 4 National League East Division Champions and an MLB All-Star Game! You can take in views of the Washington Monument and Capitol Building between innings and treat yourself to one of the greatest selections of ballpark food ever assembled; including gelato, crab cakes, bao buns and even offerings from local favorite Ben’s Chili Bowl!
3. Smithsonian Folklife Festival: Every year, this festival brings a celebration of international craftsmanship, music, and cuisine to the National Mall! The theme this year will be ‘The Social Power of Music’ and feature hip hop, rock, traditional Baltic music, folk, bluegrass, and of course DC’s very own Go Go!
4. Concerts at WolfTrap: This venue has an outdoor lawn so you can sit under the stars and appreciate the talents of musicians and artists from all over the globe. There’s something for all ages and tastes, with upcoming performances from Cheryl Crow, Lionel Richie, Josh Groban, Dispatch, American Ballet Theatre, and Nas.
5. Farmers Markets: There are great farmers markets all over the DC area; find the one closest to you for some locally grown fruits and vegetables, baked goods, artisan cheeses and much more. The Takoma Park Farmers Market is one of the longest-running in the area and offers a robust and delicious variety!