While some people will always associate green with the arrival of springtime, at AdvantEdge Business Centers we’re ready to light it up blue throughout our shared office space come April! Light It Up Blue is an international event in its third year, created by the organization Autism Speaks in order to raise autism awareness by having landmark buildings literally turn their lights blue! So in this spirit, as you can see if you visit our website, we have posted the Light It Up Blue badge on our homepage. Furthermore here are some informative facts about autism from lightitupblue.org which shed light on this serious epidemic:
- Autism is a general term used to describe a group of complex developmental brain disorders – autism spectrum disorders – caused by a combination of genes and environmental influences. A new case of autism is diagnosed every 15 minutes.
- More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes & cancer combined.
- Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
- Boys are five times more likely than girls to have autism.
- It is estimated that 1 percent of the world’s population is affected by autism, or 70 million people.
- There is no medical detection or cure for autism but early diagnosis and intervention can improve outcomes.
“Autism Speaks is the world's leading autism science and advocacy organization. It was founded in February 2005 by Suzanne and Bob Wright, the grandparents of a child with autism. Since its inception, Autism Speaks has made enormous strides, committing over $173 million to research and developing innovative resources for families. The organization is dedicated to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and a cure for autism; increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders; and advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families.”
Check out their website and find out how you too can light it up blue!