It’s easy to lose ourselves in work. When things get too crazy, it is important to take a step back and focus on yourself. May is national Mental Health Awareness month, a time used to fight the stigma surrounding mental health problems and to promote resources and healthy habits. The way you feel at work effects everything from your performance to relationships with coworkers. Every now and then, we need to take a step back work on ourselves. Here are five tips for focusing on workplace wellness.
- Encouraging atmosphere. You’ll want to be in a workspace where you are surrounded by like-minded people who strive for balance. High-pressure sterile office buildings with rows of cubicles should be a thing of the past! Choose a space that you can make your own, in a community of driven professionals who work hard but also take time to foster relationships with others and relax. Also, your workspace should provide services that help lighten your workload. Little things like call answering services or live reception can take small tasks off of your plate, allowing you to focus on your core work and have more time for yourself.
- Make the most out of breaks. Breaks aren’t just for eating lunch quickly or running to the bathroom. They are important times throughout the day that you can use to reset. Read a book outside for 15 minutes, set your phone aside and enjoy a cup of tea, go to a lunchtime workout class- anything that you know would bring you peace and joy. There’s always time to scroll through social media later in the day!
- Be realistic. At work, it’s easy to take on more than we are capable of doing. Learn how to say no to a project if you are already slammed, or delegate to someone else. Both are essential skills in the workplace. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, sperate out your to-do list in order of importance. Dividing out tasks in a clean manner can help your mind feel clearer.
- Turn your space into an oasis. Adding touches of home makes your area feel less like a place you visit for eights hours each day and more like an extension of yourself. Paint the walls, add photos, or hang up framed quotes for a fast way to transform your area.
- Achieve a better work/life balance. Take those PTO days that you have been saving up. Make it a goal to leave right a 5 at least one day a week. Dedicating yourself to work may seem necessary at times, but in the long run your personal life can suffer. Even if you don’t want to travel, take a day off once a quarter to complete any projects at home, catch up with friends, and treat yourself.
Wellness does not look the same for everyone. There is no “right way” to ensure you feel good at work. One type of wellness does not fit all- keep that in mind as you strive towards a healthier life at work, both physically and, more importantly, mentally.
At AdvantEdge Workspaces, we provide our clients with a supportive space that they can make their own. From flexible communal spaces to private offices to client service coordinators that are always ready to help, your happiness at work is our main goal.