Now that the parties are over and the confetti has been swept up it’s time to get to work on improving your business this year. Such a broad, abstract goal can be difficult to tackle, so we've compiled a list of the top 10 business tips for 2012:
1. Visit your Clients- Take surveys and phone calls to the next level and set aside some time to spend some face-to-face time with your clients.
2. Develop a New Skill- The business world is constantly evolving; spend a few hours a month learning about the current trends and consider incorporating them into your strategy.
3. Plan Less...Act More- A solid plan is a great place to start, but be sure to include a time line with specific due dates to assist in the follow through!
4. Build External Partnerships- Developing a symbiotic relationship with other companies can be a win-win situation if the right partnerships are established. Hold a brainstorming session with your team to identify businesses where an exchange of services would be mutually beneficial.
5. Focus on Helping...Not Selling- Establish a positive and trusting rapport with your clients by focusing on helping them fulfill their needs--the products and services will sell themselves as a result.
6. Discover a Niche- Take interest in an emerging or under-served area of your industry and you will likely find untapped riches!
7. Publish Relevant Content- Those who are published are considered experts, and through the development of a company blog, it's easier than ever to stand out in your industry.
8. Utilize Local Search Marketing- 70% of internet users use Google to search, and you've probably noticed that local businesses fitting your query appear first on the results page. Take advantage of this free opportunity for exposure by registering or claiming your company's Google Place Page, which then appears on Google Maps in search results. The more content and reviews your place page receives, the higher you will rise to the top of the results!
9. Don't Try to Do it All- Even the most fastidious workers cannot always accomplish everything alone. Strategically hire where needed or use an executive services company to bolster your staff, and take advantage of free apps and software that manages your social media.
10. Give Back- Volunteering or fostering a partnership with local charities will give you the opportunity to network with other professionals and bolster your company's public image.