Don’t let the shortened daylight hours and biting breeze get you down; DC is an awesome place to live and work year-round, even when it’s cold outside! Here are a few ways to keep yourself entertained and warm during the winter months in the Nation’s Capital.
- Ice Skating: Visiting the Sculpture Garden ice skating rink is a uniquely DC experience! Take yourself for a little spin surrounded by classic art within a stone's throw of the monuments and Smithsonian museums.
(Photograph by Andrew Propp. https://www.washingtonian.com/2015/03/01/sculpture-garden-ice-rink/
- Museums: The Smithsonian Institution is responsible for some of the World’s most recognized museums, and the best part about it; they’re all free! Whether you’re into priceless art, ancient artifacts, or Stegosaurus bones, there’s plenty to keep you entertained and help you learn something new.
- Concerts: Whoever your favorite band or musical artist might be, chances are they will be visiting a venue near you sometime soon! DC’s concert venues range from intimate stages to full-blown arenas, and host a variety of world renowned acts throughout the city.
(Concertgoers at The Anthem - https://wsdg.com/projects-items/the-anthem/)
- Theater: DC boasts a robust and diverse local theatre scene, so from the Shakespeare, to Flamenco, to innovative new plays, to American classics, there’s always something exciting on stage.
- Sports: There are plenty of teams to cheer for here in the District! The Washington Wizards basketball team and Washington Capitals hockey team both host their home games at the Capitol One Arena. If that’s not enough to keep you busy, you can catch a University of Maryland or Georgetown University basketball game, or visit Audi Field to watch the DC Defenders football team, the city’s newest sports franchise.